The art of writing is the art of appying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair. ~Mary Heaton Vorse



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

When writing allow yourself to be bad

When writing allow yourself to be bad - the wrost writer you can be. lol  (note to self)
I have to remind myself over and over to allow myself to writing badly.  When I write first I have to get the thoughts out, or I never make it to the end.  If I look back and try to fix my story - like editing sentences- I will go back and fix a scene when from whatever reason I can''t move forward a story and the night before God reviled what wrong, often a scene before need ajustments. but I can't go back and fix every sentences as I write.  I mean I tried that on my first story - well second story-  well third story-

yes as I write I remembering the few first storiesI wrote and then THE story I wrote- that I really spent years trying to write but never never got pass the 1st or 2nd chapter because I would go back and rewrite every pargraph and make it perfect- this destoryed the story in my head. DESTORYED IT! Now I just write try to get to the scene in my head and then move to the next scene in my head and so on and so on. 

Yes, I have finished a 1st draft have I ever wrote a story I really like hmmm no not yet.  I'm still learning

and here Maureen Johnson who I think said it best.





what writing advice have you learned over the years?

~Annie

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Amen to that!! I love your blog!!
Thought you might be interested in mine. I have a collaborative blog - http://DysfunctionalBeginnings.com/. About growing up, beginnings in general, told in a variety of formats (literary, nonfiction, fiction, poetry, new media). Let me know what you think :)
Would love if you'd contribute! let me know..

Jessica said...

it's true!! getting it out is terribly important. Style comes later. Revision is such a strange thing to me. I always like to preserve each draft. as if i'll lose something otherwise. right?
-jess
http://dysfunctionalbeginnings.com/